Advanced Neonatal Care at Medical City Lewisville
Medical City Lewisville’s state-designated Level III neonatal intensive care unit serves the most critically ill and premature infants who require specialized, focused care. The unit is equipped with state-of-the-art, intensive care nursery technology and is staffed by a collaborative, specialized and compassionate team of medical professionals.
Medical City Lewisville is the first and only hospital in Denton County to receive an official NICU designation from the Texas Department of State Health Services, and the facility provides the highest level of neonatal care available in Lewisville and southern Denton County for critically ill newborns of all gestation ages.
A Level III NICU designation is the second to highest level of neonatal care and reflects Medical City Lewisville’s ability to provide optimal healing and treatment for critically ill newborns. State law requires all NICUs to apply for neonatal level of care designations, and undergo rigorous evaluation and verification to ensure NICUs meet stringent clinical care guidelines set by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
The soft lights and minimal noise in the NICU creates a carefully managed environment that promotes healthy rest and healing. The compassionate team works with parents to provide them as much comfort and privacy as possible during this critical time in their children’s lives.
The experienced team includes medical specialists who provide specialized care for babies needing special care:
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Neonatal nurses
- Physical, respiratory and speech therapists
- Lactation consultants
- Other health care specialists
Medical City Lewisville’s NICU offers:
- Neonatal specialists on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Neonatal nurse practitioners available in-house 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Experienced neonatal nurses with advanced certifications
- State-of-the-art neonatal nursery technology
- Secure, encrypted live-streaming web cameras so families can see their babies when they’re away from the hospital
- Compassionate and accommodating team
- A family-centric atmosphere
- Breast pumps available for breastfeeding mothers, a private and fully equipped breast-pumping room, and lactation nurse support when available
- Connection to Medical City Children’s Hospital network of specialists
The hospital is also a regional transfer center, which means that several area hospitals have transferred numerous moms and newborns to Medical City Lewisville’s Level III NICU for advanced treatment. The credentialed specialists at Medical City Lewisville also provide neonatology services and consultation support to rural hospitals across North Texas through the hospital’s TeleNICU program.
“As Denton County’s first and only Level III NICU, we are proud to be the destination of healthcare excellence for mothers and families seeking exceptional clinical quality coupled with VIP service,” said Sharn Barbarin, CEO of Medical City Lewisville. “Achieving this designation is an indication of our elevated standard of neonatal care for high risk OB mothers, mothers of multiples, and mothers seeking a higher level of nursery care to complement their birth plan. This advanced designation is a tremendous honor and distinction and reaffirms our commitment to delivering excellence to the families of Denton County and surrounding communities.”
For more information, call:
The Sharp Family's NICU Story
Angela and Randy share their experience with their triplets and the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Medical City Lewisville.